HOWTO: Quick and dirty guide to DNS configuration without Plesk
After struggling with this one myself, I think I understand it enough to post some very basic steps to get you up and running on your VPS without using Plesk.
Here are the steps:
1. Manage Server -> Add Role -> DNS
2. Manage Server -> Manage this DNS server
3. Expand Forward Looup Zones on Left Hand Tree
4. Expand YourDomain.com
5. In Right Pane -> Right Click -> New Host (A)...
6. Enter * in Name field, enter your VPS IP in IP field, and click Save
7. In Right Pane -> Right Click -> New Host (A)...
8. Leave Name field blank, enter your VPS IP in IP field and click Save
9. Control Panel -> Windows Firewall
10. Add exceptions for port 53 UDP and TCP.
The next steps assume you are using GoDaddy.com as a registrar. For other registrars consult your registrar for specific instructions on how to setup name servers for your domain.
11. Log into account at GoDaddy
12. Domains -> MyDomains -> Click YOURDOMAIN.COM
13. On bottom left in the Host Summary box click Add
14. Enter NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM and the IP assigned to you
15. Click OK
16. Click Add again
17. Enter NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM and enter the secondary IP assigned to you
18. Click OK
19. Click Name Servers Link
20. Click Custom Name Servers tab
21. Enter NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM into Name Server 1 field
22. Enter NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM into Name Server 2 field
23. Click Ok
24 Sit back and wait for propagation
Last edited by soshimo; 02-09-2008 at 03:00 PM..